2007 F23 Tomcat surf mod suggestions

DominicB24

Hi,

New to forum and new to wake boats. Just purchased this 2007 tomcat.  I upgraded from a stern drive mainly for wakesurfing. I have been scouring these forums and have seen some post about this year not being good for surfing. Since I just bought this boat and don’t plan on selling it. I am determined to figure it out. I ordered a set of 12”x18” edge mounted trim tabs that just got in today but won’t have time to install them for a couple of weeks.  I am debating on installing one like the “surf tabs” or both (if it would have any benefit). If I only do one then I will probably use the other actuator to do a slapper add on a little later. 

I have had it out a few times playing with the wave.  I purchased a swell wake surf creator H3X plus. It has helped. It seems like I get the cleanest wave but at higher speeds 14.3 MPH. At 10-13 to much white wash on the wave. The 14.3 speed makes it a little hard to stay on the board. I’m hoping the plate will clean some of the wash and dig the bow down a little so I could slow down.  Don’t want to weigh the boat down to much more. Any thoughts?

Has anyone with the 2007s hull design got a good wave with stock ballast and addition of surf tabs, gates or other mods. Any info would be appreciated.  

Boat info

2007 MB F23

PCM ZR6

2400 lbs of stock ballast

prop-acme 2079 (new)

elevation 5500ft

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I also have a 2007 F23 Tomcat. We found the same issue as you have probably experienced trying to wake Surf. I just purchased a Mega Surf Gate and tried it out recently. It definitley helped create a much cleaner, bigger wave to surf on. For sure better than stock without the surf gate. 

No it’s a legit account. I’m genuinely looking for some assistance and I appreciate the suggestions. Keep them coming anyone else who has the same boat. 

I got the 12x18 tab installed. Did just the middle tab. It cleans up the wave better but still seems like wave is to short and can’t get it “clean”. I do admit I get a better wave at lower speeds than I did before around 14.5 mph. I am getting a better wave around 13.5 mph with the plate. 

first pic is regular side you can see the wash. This is with stock ballast full  

Second is goofy side. Same thing. These seem the be the cleanest.

D45C820B-F00A-42E5-84A5-2EA0558AFE8B.png

A30B186D-8158-4D03-B46F-9D1F4D96CB8B.png

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Did you find a mod that works for you? I’m thinking about purchasing surf tabs and installing them. I spoke with evolution surf tabs and they claim it will really clean up the wave on my 2007 f23. Seems to be a decent price compared to the others. 

On 2/19/2022 at 12:15 PM, Wesley said:

Did you find a mod that works for you? I’m thinking about purchasing surf tabs and installing them. I spoke with evolution surf tabs and they claim it will really clean up the wave on my 2007 f23. Seems to be a decent price compared to the others. 

I found that I get the best ridable wave without ballast (I’m guessing because we’re all new to surfing). I am modifying some slappers with wavelogics controller in the next month or so. Already got everything just need some time to install it. As we get better at riding I’m sure we will start using ballast. The 12x8 wedge I put on helps clean the wave a little with full ballast. 

• 6 months later...

I bought the Evolution tabs last year for black friday but needed a new motor this summer so only have used them once. It helped on the left side but the goofy side was crap. This was will full factory ballast. I used to use a suck gate and had a pretty good wave. I want to try less ballast and more bow ballast next. Wish it wasn't the end of the season. 

messages_0 (8).jpeg

messages_0 (7).jpeg

• 9 months later...

Didn't get out until this year again. Plates are going down correctly. I talked to the manufacturer/installer and he said it was the right angles. I wonder if I need more on that side though. I'm going to try to adjust it for next time and see. I was able to clean it up a little more by listing, which makes me wonder about the angle on that side. Regular side is still good though. My 9year old got up first time and was doign great yesterday. I had my son film it and it really seems like there isn't much if any of the delayed convergence happening. Not the best video but you can see a little. Lake is deep too. Was windy yesterday though.