ZLD and HT-6 Setup

AZ_MB

So I finally got the ZLD installed (yes, I'm really slow).  First let me say thank you to Hyperryd for walking me through what I needed to do.  I started this install and once the wires I was pulling through the hull got stuck I was screaming in the garage wishing I had never started this project. I reached out to Hyperryd and he walked me though what I needed to do so I could finish this up.  Big thanks to him!

Second, all of you posting pics of your completed projects making me want to do this too, I blame you for all this hassle.  :lol:   I thought this was going to be an easy swap of the existing head unit for the ZLD.  Not so! But I learned a lot about the boat in the process so that's good.

I am still trying to resolve one issue with the HT-6 that is powering the cabin speakers.  Prior to removing the headunit I removed the remote turn on wire from the amp and turned the headunit on to see if any speakers were connected directly to the headunit as some on here mentioned MB had previously done.  There was no sound from any speakers during this test so I believe this ensures all the speakers are being powered by the amp.  Now that the headunit has been swapped out for the ZLD, I am only getting one pair of the cabin speakers to play.  I didn't change any of the speaker connections to the HT-6 amp and the input is still set to 2-channel and the Input CH5/6 is also off.  The ZLD output is connected to Input CH1&2.  This is same setup that was being used for the Clarion headunit before so I'm not sure why I'm only getting output on two speakers now.  How should I test for the issue?  Can I put a meter on the amp outputs to see if they are working correctly?  Maybe a fuse?

post-1757-0-26371800-1563693321_thumb.jpg

post-1757-0-42413100-1563693335_thumb.jpg

Does the HT-6 also drive the woofer, if so, does the woofer play and can you control its volume via the woofer zone dial?

What speakers play/do not play? Think about what they have in common. Left, right, bow, main, etc. Remove the speaker leads from the amp one pair at a time and touch them momentarily to a 9V battery and make the speaker pop. This tells you what speaker(s) are wired to what chnls and is a quick test of the circuit and speaker.  

Thank you Wylie, yes the HT-6 drives the woofer as well.  It is not playing either but I didn't change the factory settings of the amp yet. I was thinking the woofer might be connected to CH5/6 and I need to connect the ZLD inputs to those RCA's and then press the Input CH5/6 button to turn it on.  If I'm understanding the amp function correctly this would allow for separate driving of the sub. Is this right?  Hopefully I'll have some time this afternoon to try the battery test. 

The amp can be three 2 chnl amps, a 2 chnl and a 4 chnl amp or a 6 chnl amp in terms of RCA inputs. For you, you want to set it up a 2 chnl for the in-boats on 1-4 and 2 chnl for the woofer on 5/6. 

But lets make all the speaker chnls play again in some manor, then work on getting the configuration correct for the 3 zone volume. 

Just did the battery test. Here's how it's currently connected.

CH1 is starboard main cabin pair

CH2 is port main cabin pair

CH3+ and CH4- subwoofer

CH5 is port bow

CH6 is starboard bow

With the rca's connected only to CH1 and CH2 and the Input set to 2-channel and the Input CH5/6 is off I'm only getting sound from the two main cabin starboard speakers (CH2).

Start by swapping the left and right (chnl-1 and chnl-2) rca and see if the problem moves or stays. If the RCAs are good, the same speakers will still play. If one RCA chnl is bad, the other speakers will then play. 

Next, move the RCA to 3/4 and then to 5/6 inputs. Just make sure to reset the input mode so those chnls look for the discrete input. 

I played around with the RCA'a quite a bit and might be finally figuring things out.  The amp RCA's have some corrosion/build-up on them (see photo) that I think may have been causing the CH1 speakers not to play because when I was swapping the left and right (chnl-1 and chnl-2) rca's as you said, they started playing and both continued to play as I swapped the L and R rca's back and forth.

I also set the amp settings to be three 2 chnl amps and tested each rca input pair separately. What I noticed when doing this is the bow speakers (Ch5&6) are actually playing I just couldn't hear them because they aren't playing any high frequencies and the other speakers were drowning them out.  Since these are connected to CH5/6, I'm guessing the cross over is cutting out their high frequencies as this is supposed to be the sub channel?

If so, what I think I need to do is move the bow speakers to output CH3/4 and move the sub to output CH5/6 and then set the amp to be in 4 channel mode with the cabin rca's from the ZLD going to input ch1&2 and the sub rca's from the zld going to input ch5&6.  Does this sounds right?

post-1757-0-09905700-1564003143_thumb.jpg

The HT-6 can run Hi, FULL or LOW pass on chnls 1/2, 3/4 or 5/6, so it could be that one set of chnls is set to low, but driving full range speakers. But the fact that you get some output from said speaker mid-bass cones, is a good thing. 

With the introduction of a 3 zone controller, speakers on 1-4 and woofer on 5/6 is the best configuration. 

Okay, I think I'm almost there. The bow speakers are on ch3/4 and the sub is on ch5/6. With the gain turned up a little below half way things are sounding good. Thanks for walking me through this Wylie. I'm finally understanding how this works.

Here are my settings. Does this look about right?

88ef55e6-4bbd-4727-b630-b27f20f92e41-ori

d68aa620-4ce2-4ca7-9045-c3612c1730b4-ori