Electric over Hydraulic swap?

I have thought about doing it as well, I had a buddy that did it on his Centurion a few years ago and he said it only cost him 600 bucks. But the trailer shop closest to me that repacks my bearings quoted me 1300 which seemed pricey, maybe we can get someone to give us a deal if we both do it!

12 hours ago, schill38 said:

I have thought about doing it as well, I had a buddy that did it on his Centurion a few years ago and he said it only cost him 600 bucks. But the trailer shop closest to me that repacks my bearings quoted me 1300 which seemed pricey, maybe we can get someone to give us a deal if we both do it!

You mean....

If three of us do it? 

It's crazy how much we pay for "cool" options, yet rarely anyone gets EOH. People have EOH swear they would NEVER EVER go back to surge. 

Of course, I'm still working on getting a trailer that's legal to tow my boat. 

Serious though, please share if you find a deal and count me in. 

Also,

How often and wear should I get my bearing's repacked? I've never owned a trailer of any kind (only had my first boat a year), so I'm completely in the dark when it comes to that. 

14 hours ago, Guppydriver said:

Serious though, please share if you find a deal and count me in. 

Also,

How often and wear should I get my bearing's repacked? I've never owned a trailer of any kind (only had my first boat a year), so I'm completely in the dark when it comes to that. 

My buddy loves it, my last boat was a 2007 Tige and the original owner converted to electric and it was awesome to have and control the brakes from my truck as well in being able to change the brake pressure etc...I miss it for sure and want to do it so let's find us a deal for all 3 of us!!

Guppy I repack mine every year, it's more of a precaution and you could probably get away with doing it every other year but I've been stranded on the freeway with a blown axle and it wasn't fun and the repair was pricey. The thing with boat bearings is you are dunking hot bearings into cold water and so it causes the grease to break down quicker, on normal trailers you can get away with bearings every 5 years if you push it. 

14 hours ago, Guppydriver said:

You mean....

If three of us do it? 

It's crazy how much we pay for "cool" options, yet rarely anyone gets EOH. People have EOH swear they would NEVER EVER go back to surge. 

Of course, I'm still working on getting a trailer that's legal to tow my boat. 

personally I would repack every other year or every 2 years. BUT, I always check them every year and every long trip. I pump alittle grease when needed( don't over grease the bearing buddies, they can actually blow out the grease seals) when that happens your bearings will fail  quickly down the road. One time I was leaving for a 2 hour trip with my camper. I heard my bearing cap fall off in the neighborhood, but I was in "such a rush" I kept going. by the time I made it to camp, my bearing was toast. 

2 hours ago, schill38 said:

My buddy loves it, my last boat was a 2007 Tige and the original owner converted to electric and it was awesome to have and control the brakes from my truck as well in being able to change the brake pressure etc...I miss it for sure and want to do it so let's find us a deal for all 3 of us!!

Guppy I repack mine every year, it's more of a precaution and you could probably get away with doing it every other year but I've been stranded on the freeway with a blown axle and it wasn't fun and the repair was pricey. The thing with boat bearings is you are dunking hot bearings into cold water and so it causes the grease to break down quicker, on normal trailers you can get away with bearings every 5 years if you push it. 

Thanks man. I’m in!! 

Where should I go to get my bearings packed locally ? (That sounds nasty) 

Les Schwab is close to me in Lehi. Recs?

I just had my bearings repacked with new seals by SLC Trailer. He is a mobile business comes to you. He recommended I get them done every year for the reasons stated above. I'd rather pay the money than be stuck on the side of the road. Got my trailer bunks replaced by a mobile guy at deer creek tonight as well. 

I sent a message to boatmate today to ask about the brake line pressure and if they know of a solid actuator replacement. 

On 5/26/2022 at 3:07 PM, Guppydriver said:

Thanks man. I’m in!! 

Where should I go to get my bearings packed locally ? (That sounds nasty) 

Les Schwab is close to me in Lehi. Recs?

Guppy I used Pro Steel Customs, they are in Lehi right off Main St and 2300 W, I called them on a Wednesday and they had my boat done the next day and were great to work with, answered a ton of questions, heck maybe they can even make your trailer legal to tow your boat!

The response I got from Boatmate:

"You can change over to EOH from surge brakes, but there will need to be significant modifications required. You will need to change out all brake lines to handle the increased working pressure. There will also have to be wiring modifications and a new coupler (something similar to the pic below) as well.

I'll be honest with you, we've had people convert to EOH and we've been told that the cost of changing over (usually around $2000) is not worth the results."

• 3 weeks later...