2014 F22 Tomcat-

theedgeinc

I know there has been discussion around this all new boat from Mike and the boys, but I don't believe there's been enough. This boat deserves way more hype. So call me the hype-master, but here's my take on it now that We've got one.

First off, WOW seeing the exterior of this boat in person is very cool. The pictures somehow just can't do it justice. Maybe it's the angles we've seen, maybe it's because they've all been on those yard dollies in the build pictures. The overall stance of it is cool. I think it's lines are better off shown in the water, all of the angles just make sense.

IMG_6135.JPGIMG_6189.JPGNext you'll notice the interior is a rapid departure from the 21's and 23's. If you've seen the 24, you more or less get the idea. All of the upholstery is cushier with more foam, Almost every seatback is sculpted to find a perfect place for your back, seats are firm, and supportive, buy yet very plush feeling. This boat has a world class interior, easily able to duke it out with others in it's category.

I'm tall (6'4") So naturally I felt it in the 21. I wasn't uncomfortable, but i just felt big. The 22' for me is 100% perfect at the helm, or in any other seat, including the bow, which gains 7" in length from front to back, 44"-21 51"-22. Also keep in mind the seatback cushioning is nearly twice as thick.

IMG_6199.JPG

Knee clearance in the dash area is up big time from 17" to 20"

IMG_6170.JPG

Interior Depth Measurements-

bow floor to top of seat leanback cushion- 21 tomcat 27", 22 tomcat-31"

Ob. seat- floor to top- 21 Tomcat 29", 22 Tomcat 33"

Rear Seats- floor to top- 21 tomcat 27", 22 Tomcat 34"

So in a nutshell, this boat is 3" deeper on the inside. Somehow it FEELS like so much more.

More to come...

still on the inside...

The boat is indeed longer, it's mostly bow where this appears. The length of the rear seating is up a marginal 1"

IMG_6169.JPG

Again, feels bigger.

Interior width, also 1" wider 

Everyone who has seen the boat kept saying "it looks so much wider" and i agree, so I was kind of taken aback to see this measurement- again, this is a vinyl to vinyl, measurement, cushions are thicker in the 22, so maybe that's it.

IMG_6164.JPG

the two piece rear trunk is magical, one quick open to get to the enormous trunks, or the heating tray. You see the MB quality here too, as the full length stainless hinges are thru-bolted into the fiberglass (other brands screw, or use smaller, alloy hinges) Even the gas assist supports are thru-bolted, and stainless. The engine/pylon structure is also stainless, not powdercoated alloy.  Unfortunately, due to new gas tank/fill regulations, MB had to move the filler to the side of the boat. Boo.

MB also made the switch to pump in tank fuel delivery, so you'll feel a porthole under the magnetic carpet near the back. I didn't get a picture of it, but the water drain in the floor is larger, and very cool looking.

IMG_6184.JPG

Here's pics of the seats removed, showing a BUILT IN  COOLER

IMG_6176.JPG

IMG_6175.JPG

Still a bit more to come...

My mind wanders, so i'm going back to the exterior. Check out all these very cool lines...

IMG_6137.JPG

IMG_6138.JPG

IMG_6139.JPG

IMG_6142.JPG

IMG_6144.JPG

IMG_6145.JPG

IMG_6147.JPG

IMG_6148.JPG

The level of detail, still for me, it what separates MB from the others. 

Wake...

Let me start out, sorry, no pictures yet.

We rode it last night under sub-prime conditions.  It was windy, and the lake is 10' deep max. SO not a good representation. We rode 1800# Full Ballast, 3 People, FUll Tank Of Gas, 22MPH. The wake felt pretty much the same as it's big brother 23' WB. Tall, powerful, not too peaky, but still boots you perfectly. I'd love to throw another 400 in the walkway, as i suspect, it'll be perfect like the others. This boat also behaves a bit better as far as the side to side wash.

Surfing, again, sorry for about lack of pictures, and setup (we were fighting daylight) With the same crew and 400# in the trunk, plate all the way up, 10.8mph, this boat excelled. Nothing really huge, but it was long, strong, and playful. Much more like the 23, than the 21's.

I barely had to work to keep my 220# butt in the sweet spot and have a good time. 

We're hopefully going to have some time to be able to take this out in better conditions, on a better lake to really get things dialed. 

SO to wrap things up:

I don't think there is another 22' boat on the market that can offer all of these features, for nearly the money, at anywhere near the quality. MB hit the nail on the head, and I predict this to be their run-away best seller. Keep in mind this is coming from a dealership that less than 10% of MB sales were pickle forks. That's about to change

I crawled around one at Texas Mastercraft and really liked it. My only concern was bring able to fit a bag where the built in cooler is at. Also fitting a view sac unset the cushion msy be s pain since the filler hookup fir a tsunami pump is at the point of the boat and there is no access there the way the cushions are designed

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Not a fan of the built in cooler at all...  Now I don't really surf but I do see that getting in the way of some surf junkies but a GREAT place to throw shoes.  The knee room being a bit taller is awesome but does that raise the dash 3" taking your view looking out the windshield?  I never use my booster seat when driving and really like the view out the glass and nothing in the way.  I would like to see this boat with the 4 point tower...  Although that tower is very strong and sturdy i like the fact that I have upper racks and nobody has to move since I can get boards on and off from the back deck and not killing my back.  Overall this is a good looking boat with a few improvements that really had to happen.  Can't wait to see and maybe ride one in person...

Not a fan of the built in cooler at all...  Now I don't really surf but I do see that getting in the way of some surf junkies but a GREAT place to throw shoes.  The knee room being a bit taller is awesome but does that raise the dash 3" taking your view looking out the windshield?  I never use my booster seat when driving and really like the view out the glass and nothing in the way.  I would like to see this boat with the 4 point tower...  Although that tower is very strong and sturdy i like the fact that I have upper racks and nobody has to move since I can get boards on and off from the back deck and not killing my back.  Overall this is a good looking boat with a few improvements that really had to happen.  Can't wait to see and maybe ride one in person...

That spot (edit) would be a great fit for shoes!  I am a but shoe Nazi on my boat lol, I also was thinking maybe a good spot for wet ropes, or the anchors if its being used a lot during a weekend.  I will never be a fan of the under seat coolers personally.  We drink too often and too much to utilize these smaller under seat coolers...too small, and super annoying to get to!  I just used my walkway cooler in my old MB for champagne and jager 5ths....I need at least 60 quarts, I like when they are removable, So I will always be running a  cooler in the cabin.  I like being able to pull it out and have an actual usable cooler with wheels.    

Shoes would be a great fit for shoes!  I am a but shoe Nazi on my boat lol, I also was thinking maybe a good spot for wet ropes, or the anchors if its being used a lot during a weekend.  I will never be a fan of the under seat coolers personally.  We drink too often and too much to utilize these smaller under seat coolers...I need at least 60 quarts, I like when they are removable, So I will always be running a  cooler in the cabin.  I like being able to pull it out and have an actual usable cooler with wheels.    

We usually only roll with 6 people, and a 60 quart "not" being big enough makes me feel like an alcoholic! :huh:

Mr dirte, I climbed in that boat at larson. A few things I noticed, the gunnel from the tower back is arched like much like a newer mastercraft but the tower and tower pivot point are the same pieces as used on the prevous models with flat gunnels the the tower is actually leaning more forward to be honest seeing it next to a 2013 makes it look odd. The glove box kills the flat dash space behind the windshield and looks like a bit of an afterthought, glove box underneath the hump is the same as previous years. The batteries are indeed under the carpet in the walkthrough but I think it is a step backwards seeing as they used to be there before they moved them to be under the observers seat. Larson is using sportboat trailers instead of the mb trailer and the new tung on the sb trailer is ridiculously long even as a swing away tung I think the old sb trailer for my 23 is shorter ie new one might not fit the garage well.