2016 B52 23' With fake slapper

adam4x4

So like most I have not been happy with my 2016 GSA. The wave is dirty and always just not right. So I have been wondering about what if i slapped it. How is the wave going to be? Why has no one tested anything on this boat so I do not have to!

So here I go with testing!

I started building a fake slapper. First designing it.

post-921-0-19071200-1473193351_thumb.jpg

post-921-0-89568300-1473193393_thumb.jpg

Next came to cut some wood and build it!

post-921-0-85608800-1473193649_thumb.jpg

post-921-0-88931500-1473193671_thumb.jpg

post-921-0-94711000-1473193703_thumb.jpg

post-921-0-39125400-1473193751_thumb.jpg

post-921-0-71120300-1473193814_thumb.jpg

It was pretty easy to build, I just use some cardboard for design

So it was test time! First had to make sure that we had some geese to slap!

post-921-0-17917700-1473193982_thumb.jpg

CHECK!

So here is day one, 3 people on the boat and one in the water.

First no wight

post-921-0-43232500-1473194083_thumb.jpg

The some wight just stock tanks full.

post-921-0-85731100-1473196224_thumb.png

Then about 500 in each tank! ( trim tab at 50%)

The Wife

post-921-0-40215800-1473194211_thumb.png

And my self. Im 6'2" and 300 lbs right now. ( i need to get back on my diet)

post-921-0-99644900-1473194249_thumb.png

The wave was awesome! A huge sweet spot! 

The next day we had more kids and one more adult in the boat. not sure what was going on, but could not get it back as good. also did not try very hard, just a fun day with the kids.

post-921-0-61303200-1473196184_thumb.jpg

post-921-0-16752900-1473194534_thumb.jpg

Ok so on day 3 i changed a lot. 

I plugged the hard tanks.

post-921-0-40493700-1473194629_thumb.jpg

post-921-0-80940500-1473194671_thumb.jpg

And I took off the GSA on the regular side

post-921-0-86822100-1473194741_thumb.jpg

By capping the tanks off, this stopped the water transfer from the tanks into the bags. I do not know how many of you have noticed this. it made the boat ride flat when surfing instead of nose high. By taking the GSA off, it clean up the lip.
(no trim tab)

post-921-0-43498200-1473194975_thumb.png

post-921-0-56307300-1473195011_thumb.png

The wave was not as good, but I was only running hard tanks. I did not have any lead with me and think about 400-600 lbs and the wave would be money! it was still good, but as big. 

So all in all

Yes the slappers will put out a better wave than the GSA. I have some more fine tuning to do, and find some bags to try more weight. also i'm going to build a regular side and test it also. 

Going to get some videos together for you all to see. 

I like the idea! My goofy wave is beyond good (with GSA)... Too bad I do not ride goofy.

Did you work on the regular wave at all? If so, do you have any pictures of it?.  

I have not tried it yet. I'm going to build that side tonight! will not test it for 2 weeks maybe. I hope sooner

Nice work! This is a 23' B52 --  right?

Curious though why you blocked off the pnp bags? I'd put them back in and fill the surf side in increments. I'm betting it will be money. Its clean now without the tab too, as I've always said. 

Also, to get a good idea of how it would really work, you may want to trim down and taper that slapper tab so it would fold under the platform as that's how it would have to be stored. 

I've been playing around with this idea some as well. midnight has been great with the email responses  ;)

Adam--

Was it steeper? My biggest complaint on my F24 GSA wave is the shape. My surfing has progressed to the point where I crave a steeper wave with a lip.  GSA, even in steeper configuration, seems to make a kinda "skimmy" wave.

Any comments on the slapper shape?

run those secondary tabs flat and use the outer furthermost top pin hole. Only use enough center tab to reduce the fountain. Run full ballast on the surf side and drain non-surf side bag to about 1/2- 3/4.. A little bow weight helps too. Its steep believe me.

post-959-0-45895600-1473202669_thumb.jpg

Curious though why you blocked off the pnp bags? I'd put them back in and fill the surf side in increments. I'm betting it will be money. Its clean now without the tab too, as I've always said. 

Also, to get a good idea of how it would really work, you may want to trim down and taper that slapper tab so it would fold under the platform as that's how it would have to be stored. 

I've been playing around with this idea some as well. midnight has been great with the email responses  ;)

Yes I have a 2016 B52 23'

The reason that I caped off the bags is that water transfers from the tanks to the bags. It make things really hard to have a constant judgment with people and weight. Also found when caped off the boat had a lot less bow rise and was easier to drive with more bow weight.

As for the size of the gates, I'm wanting to large as possible. I have been waiting to see what the new swim deck looks like and size. I may order a new swim deck or have one built. 

Adam--

Was it steeper? My biggest complaint on my F24 GSA wave is the shape. My surfing has progressed to the point where I crave a steeper wave with a lip.  GSA, even in steeper configuration, seems to make a kinda "skimmy" wave.

Any comments on the slapper shape?

The wave was a lot steeper with heavy weight. My wife even said it scared her at first. The wave was very firm also.

On the slapper shape i just fallowed what midnight suggested. 20 long 11" wide down to 10 at the tip. 25 degs off the side of the boat

On the slapper shape i just fallowed what midnight suggested. 20 long 11" wide down to 10 at the tip. 25 degs off the side of the boat

I should have clarified--I was referring to wave shape.  I think I have a copy of Midnight's slapper drawing on PDF already somewhere in my files.

As for the size of the gates, I'm wanting to large as possible. I have been waiting to see what the new swim deck looks like and size. I may order a new swim deck or have one built. 

Or see if you can procure an earlier swim deck--the rounded ones.  They work great blending in with folded slappers.

run those secondary tabs flat and use the outer furthermost top pin hole. Only use enough center tab to reduce the fountain. Run full ballast on the surf side and drain non-surf side bag to about 1/2- 3/4.. A little bow weight helps too. Its steep believe me.

I confess I have run goofy a lot less than regular--I seem to socialize with way more regular surfers for some reason.  Anyway, the times I have run goofy, I have really noticed the wake is quite steep.  I haven't taken the time to really dial in the goofy wave as its rarely used, but it is steep right from the get go.

Have you also had success making the regular side as steep?  That is the one that ends up skimmier on my boat.

You are right that on boats with the newer style swim deck the tab needs to be stored underneath however I think a better option would be to shim the swim deck up as much as you can. I took some measurements on an F-22 recently and it looks like you can gain a good 1 to 1-1/2 inches more room under there by shimming it up. I think that you might be able to gain even more with the 2017 swim deck that appears to be quite a bit thinner as well. I think shimming up would also help the issue of the corner dragging in the water.  I would mount some kind of HDPE or fiberglass block under the platform as well to act as a "stop" for the gate to rest against in the stowed position.