Are MB's prices getting too close to "premium boats"?

Guppydriver

First off, I'm not saying MB isn't a premium boat. I've waited my entire life to get one and it really is my dream boat, but you know what I mean...

I'm talking about for you guys individually. I understand the general economics (especially right now) of supply vs. demand and clearly MB is having no problem selling every boat they make. TBS in Utah said they wish they had a lot more slots to sell as they are down to only like six or so slots left for the entire year. (IIRC they had to fight hard for the 70 they got). Clearly they are not overpriced for market demand.

That being said.......

Supra, Malibu, MC, and Centurion are almost always available with an 20-25% discount and the real world price delta between these brands is narrowing. These brands do have some tech and warranty advantages as well as a more popular national brand cachet. There is no doubt that MB has always offered amazing bang for your dollar (I believe they still do) and that it is head and shoulders above the sub 110k competition of Axis, ATX, NTX, Moomba (although the new Mojo is legit), but when 22 to 23 foot MB's start hitting the 115-120k selling price range, it changes the dynamics a bit.

So I guess here are my questions...

1. Will the gradual increase in price cause you to look at some other brands you wouldn't have otherwise looked at if and when you get your next boat?

2. Is MB in its current state with the new alpha product ready to compete as is with boats like the Ri, LSV23, SA/SL ?

Again, not a negative thread on MB...I'm a huge MB fanboy. I'm just looking to hear what many of you think and if this is something you have tossed around if you are or will be in the market soon for a new boat. 

I will have a lot more comparison info once I get my boat, but I will say the supra SA equally equipped is at least 25k-30K higher in price. The SA has some nice features but really Its just the computer tech.  The MB build quality is on par or better with all the big boys. ( Does anyone know which other manufacturers are vacuum bagging, I think CA requires it now). MB is on the verge of a true custom boat with all the options and color choices they offer along with the vacuum bagged construction. Custom boats usually command a huge premium over a production boats in the offshore type boat market.

I would say MB is priced right in the middle nicely and my guess is they could up the price a little more and still be in that sweet spot. A lot of it price for me rides on a consistent quality wave. This summer I will be putting my 2021 Alpha B52 almost every weekend head to head with a 2020 Supra SA, so more to come from me on Supra SA 575 vs MB Alpha B52 575 beast.

16 hours ago, Pklakevet said:

Not sure why it matters.   Buy what your comfortable/ happy with.  

Doesn't really matter I guess.

I'm part time because of Covid, so I get bored and really enjoy having discussions about boats and the industry with other MB owners.....I thought that's what these things were for...my bad.

I think MB is still right in the middle. assuming other brands are raising at the same rate. Mb market is weird, they seem to go for alot more in utah then they do in california. Not sure why it would matter.

Best believe i would have me a G23 or supra if I could afford one. But very happy with my MB and my dealer

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve been having this convo for years.  Actually one of my selling points to my wife. 😃. “Pretty soon they’re gonna be 175 like a G, so we should upgrade now” 😂😂   And now I’m addicted...bought new off floor 2017 F22. Then ordered my “forever boat” 2019 23 (see “help me build a boat”) and now I just ordered my hopefully for real this time forever boat 21 23 Alpha!  Coming soon!

but I agree with all above statements.  Build quality and wave compete with all brands imo.  I do however like the full walkthrough on the G (alpha is getting very close) and I love the hinged and clasped seating on the G (mb added hinges but still use vinyl straps in some areas to open compartments which I think is tacky, but also not worth the upgrade to other brands.  

hopefully they stay in this sweet spot

On 1/30/2021 at 2:09 AM, hawkdad22 said:

I’ve been having this convo for years.  Actually one of my selling points to my wife. 😃. “Pretty soon they’re gonna be 175 like a G, so we should upgrade now” 😂😂   And now I’m addicted...bought new off floor 2017 F22. Then ordered my “forever boat” 2019 23 (see “help me build a boat”) and now I just ordered my hopefully for real this time forever boat 21 23 Alpha!  Coming soon!

but I agree with all above statements.  Build quality and wave compete with all brands imo.  I do however like the full walkthrough on the G (alpha is getting very close) and I love the hinged and clasped seating on the G (mb added hinges but still use vinyl straps in some areas to open compartments which I think is tacky, but also not worth the upgrade to other brands.  

hopefully they stay in this sweet spot

So let me see.....

You bought a 2017 brand new.  

Two years later in 2019, you bought a brand new B52

Two years later in 2021, you bought a brand new B52/Alpha

Yeah, I really believe this is your forever boat.... hahahahahahaha. 

Just kidding man.....Enjoy the Alpha and make sure we have lots of pics to drool over when it arrives.

lol I’m starting to wonder if it’s all strategic.  If they get rid of the vinyl strap handles and the rubber plugs for the seat cushions, I could def see myself making the swap again.  Hopefully they don’t haha...or hopefully they do 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

6 hours ago, hawkdad22 said:

lol I’m starting to wonder if it’s all strategic.  If they get rid of the vinyl strap handles and the rubber plugs for the seat cushions, I could def see myself making the swap again.  Hopefully they don’t haha...or hopefully they do 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

I cannot stand those seat cushion plugs!

23 hours ago, AZ_MB said:

I've not used one yet. What do you dislike about it? 

I am thinking they are talking about the retainer plugs that keep the seat snapped in. they are just annoying to yank on the seat and line it back up to snap in. The hinges were a big upgrade for the newer models. Even if its all but two.