JL speaker upgrades

oboyskibum

Which JL amps is MB installing for the 4 vs 6 tower speakers setup?

Which amplifier do you get with the subwoofer upgrade to the 12" vs the 10"?

trying to decide to upgrade with MB or have the local JL shop add them 4k seems like a lot for 2 extra towers ad a 12 unless that amps are upgraded.

I know the factory upgrade from 10" to 12" sub is pretty ridiculous price wise. $1500 dollars or so IIRC. I was told this is because of the need to strengthen or bulk up the fiberglass around the speaker. 

You could add another 10" sub and a sweet amp for about 1/3 less. 

Which shop do you use?

The boat shack said the (6) tower systems with 12" sub upgrade comes with the (1) M1000/1v2 (2) M400/4 and (2) M800/8V2. If the upgrade is the marine 12 the retail price for the JL M7 12 is $500 more than the 10 and the Amp is upgraded as well. 

One problem for me is my wife isn't going to want me to upgrade after I buy the new boat, she likes the idea of everything being stock.

I have had audio extreme do some work for me. They are good and a JL dealer.

53 minutes ago, oboyskibum said:

The boat shack said the (6) tower systems with 12" sub upgrade comes with the (1) M1000/1v2 (2) M400/4 and (2) M800/8V2. If the upgrade is the marine 12 the retail price for the JL M7 12 is $500 more than the 10 and the Amp is upgraded as well. 

One problem for me is my wife isn't going to want me to upgrade after I buy the new boat, she likes the idea of everything being stock.

I have had audio extreme do some work for me. They are good and a JL dealer.

If you've got the money and demand stock, then why the heck not ....it will sound better. 

However...from a pure value standpoint (bang for your buck per se), I don't think the 12" sub is by any means a "good deal".  Even Jason told me "If you're on a budget, probably not worth it". If the 12" would have been a $500 dollar upgrade, I would have done it, but not at that price point. I do think the sub is the weakest link in the stock 4 speaker package for sure tho.

Have you heard the all black "Vanta" at TBS? TBS upgraded all the internal speakers from 6" to 8". It's pretty amazing. 

Our boat came with the bigger sub, and we have the four speakers up on the tower, I’m taking the boat over to one of the local audio shops to see if they can fine-tune the system, I’m a little bit disappointed in the sound quality of the whole thing.

BD50235E-2D7D-4180-BABC-2385CF381F7D.png

26 minutes ago, Moto1 said:

Our boat came with the bigger sub, and we have the four speakers up on the tower, I’m taking the boat over to one of the local audio shops to see if they can fine-tune the system, I’m a little bit disappointed in the sound quality of the whole thing.

Sound system aside......

GOOD HELL THAT’S A GORGEOUS BOAT!!

36 minutes ago, Moto1 said:

Well that makes me nervous as hell! That sucks man. But ya BA lookin boat fs.  So did ur upgrade included the 8s for interior speaks as well?  Can u tell what sub model it is?  Any pics of sub and amp setup to verify addl amp would be helpful if it’s not too much trouble. 

I just talked to The Boats Shack and the upgraded 12 is the M7-12.

Having the stereo tuned is a really good idea.

Value all comes down to personal preference. I love base. I have a 3k sub in my home theater with dual 15's. The JL top of the line home theater runs 15K not sure I can justify the cost.

1 hour ago, oboyskibum said:

I just talked to The Boats Shack and the upgraded 12 is the M7-12.

Having the stereo tuned is a really good idea.

Value all comes down to personal preference. I love base. I have a 3k sub in my home theater with dual 15's. The JL top of the line home theater runs 15K not sure I can justify the cost.

WTF! that is only a 600 watt sub. Hardly an upgrade IMO since the exile upgrade was a 2000 watt sub(granted it was paired with a 1500 watt amp).  I need a replacement for the big12, mine never came with one and I can't find one even close

There is a lot more to sounds quality than watts.  Honestly I am really glad to see JL in the new boats, it kept me from changing out the exile system. Exile isn't bad I just don't think its on par with JL, Wetsounds, and a lot of other major players out there.  Just my 2cents.

This would probably match up with the big12 replacement:

https://www.skaraudio.com/products/vxf-12-inch-car-subwoofer

https://www.skaraudio.com/collections/zvxv2-subwoofer-series/products/zvx-12v2-12-inch-car-subwoofer

17 minutes ago, Moto1 said:

I’ll make sure the audio people give me a written breakdown of each component and they’re wattage/amp’s/size, The appointment is this Thursday..

See if they can give you the amp tuning settings. You might want them in case someone messes with them, you need to replace an amp or you want to share them.

8 hours ago, Hyperryd said:

How are they powering 6 towers with that amp combo?  I’m assuming the 800/8 but not sure how you get the same power to all 6 equally and it still is pretty under powered. 

If you look at Mikes google doc below you can see that tower speakers are all bridged. From a purely power perspective the amps are rated at 200 watts bridged, which fit into the suggested power rating for the JL 8.8 towers. 

2 hours ago, Mikewoods said:

This is what I got regarding the system with 2 tower speakers.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1M8RN7nfFB6HJa0Uilxj1eNpEGWHfiPdM/view?usp=sharing

22 hours ago, oboyskibum said:

Is this marine rated? this may be what want since I can't get the big12. 

I agree about wattage not being the only factor.  But when I paid for package C with my boat. I want the power! lol. You can change the gears in a car to make it "feel" faster. But if the power isn't there, it will lack. Especially on a sub. I want my teeth to rattle!

Haven’t really messed around with the stereo on the new 21 alpha we recently got.  Hasn’t been on the water yet and with tower down in garage haven’t messed with.  Are the amps turned down pretty low from factory. I got 4 towers along with 10in sub.

@bloodiestcadaverbeing in Utah(dry climate) its not as critical to get a marine sub, if you look for a sub with a cone and surround that won't have issues with a little moister. A lot of high end systems in boats don't use marine subs because they don't perform as well compared to higher end car subs.

@Wylietunes can give you a lot more details on how watts impact sounds etc....

Don't be fooled into thinking watts=sounds output and quality. Think of it like putting a 700hp motor in for pinto wagon. It has power but its junk. A mini cooper with a 300hp motor will have better overall performance with less horsepower, a Porsche 911 with 400 HP will perform even better, and dodge hellcat with 717 HP is another better performer. All have different costs but all have different performance in certain areas.

This is the wetsounds you probably want https://www.wetsounds.com/product/REVO-12-XXX-V4-B