E61 GSA Surf System Controller Development Thread

dbrayton1

My preference would be (as I think others have said already) that you have 3 settings.

1. Surf left - the system automatically fully deploys between 8 and 14mph and is retracted outside of that window

2. Surf right - same

3. Switch - push of the button switches surf side on the fly along with appropriate parameters

I don't think retract on neutral or engine cut is necessary as in both those instances you are outside the speed window and the system is retracted anyway

I really like midnight's suggested 3 settings. This may be a given but also and on and off button as well. It's simple, I am a huge fan of the KISS principle. It is also safe in that retraction and deployment is not happening when people are on or near the swim platform. If the a knob could adjust the wave/system while going/deployed for fine tuning that would be sweet.

Yes I am also assuming there is an overall system on/off button.

As for a fine tuning knob, to me that might be something that might be nice but not necessary. I say might be nice depending on what kind of surf system it's controlling. In my experience with gate type or NSS type convergence changing systems there is really not much use in trying to adjust. The device is either full deployed or full retracted and only having it say 1/2 way out does nothing productive IMO. Adjustment of the wave with those devices is better shaped by adding or subtracting bow weight.

Now a surf tab type (like MC, swell, maybe switch gen 1) might benefit from ability to trim or adjust the tab position.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, quick update. Holidays, weather, and the usual boat gremlins have made it tough to get started with the lake testing.

The tabs are on the boat, it is back from two trips to txmb, and is on a lift in my slip as of today. So at least I have a working boat in my position to install the controller in.

I'm almost done assembling and testing the beta box. It has the buttons I intend to use, but the final box will be a different form factor. The software is done for v1, including GPS based features.

Can't get out for at least another week, but here is a shot of the button layout. No labels on this version. Hope to post more, including video and pics as soon as I can make it out.

Posted Image

Hey guys. Quick update. Holidays and weather slowed things down a bit. Ready to power through assembly of a few test boxes asap.

Btw - Ryan published some videos of his tabs (the ones on my boat), so I definitely need to get going on the controller ;-). See www.gosurfassist.com for more on the tabs.

Here is a video with my son testing the controller.

Surf Controller Test With Tabs 12/07/2014: http://youtu.be/2HQctB8U0Z8

I have to say, those look really promising/interesting, and the redirecting of the force with the tab is a new idea we haven't seen anybody do yet. Really hope those are the secret tabs MB was testing out last month.

IMO, The redirection definitely aids in producing a clean wake with an excellent pocket. The wake shape is clearly different than what is produced by other designs.

I also like the ability to adjust the tabs to compensate for prop wash. Both sides are almost identical without needing to move weight around in the boat.

I don't like it when the boat companies proudly proclaim "the best ever surf wake", so not going to make similar proclamations. The flapper systems also produce a great wake. These do offer a more ability to tune the wake.

IMO, The redirection definitely aids in producing a clean wake with an excellent pocket. The wake shape is clearly different than what is produced by other designs.

I also like the ability to adjust the tabs to compensate for prop wash. Both sides are almost identical without needing to move weight around in the boat.

I don't like it when the boat companies proudly proclaim "the best ever surf wake", so not going to make similar proclamations. The flapper systems also produce a great wake. These do offer a more ability to tune the wake.

curious...do they 'tuck' under the platform?  i'm interested but see lots of edges.

Not totally. The MB platform is tiny compared to most. It is something MB needs to change given their Switch system also protrudes.

could you 'extend' the MB platform (through moving the brackets) enough to cover them and then 'fill in' the gap between the platform and transom somehow?

could you 'extend' the MB platform (through moving the brackets) enough to cover them and then 'fill in' the gap between the platform and transom somehow?

They only stick out on the sides.  No issue if you exit the platform off the back.  IMO MB should go with something wider like the platforms on the current MC boats.  Platform interference is generally only an issue when listing heavily, which isn't necessary with a surf system.